4 Legal English Podcast | Episode 028
What is here today, but will disappear on January 1st, 2023?
In this episode, we discuss copyright law in general, and the copyright for Sherlock Holmes specifically. What happens when some works enter the public domain, but others remain under copyright? What happens when a copyright lasts longer in some countries? Is Sherlock Holmes still under copyright?
You can listen to the podcast here, or anywhere where you can find podcasts!
What do you think? Who was your favorite on-screen Sherlock? Comment below!
Some of the Lexicon words discussed in the podcast:
- exclusive license
- infringe / infringement
- public domain
- stipulation of the parties
- time & geographic limitations
- with prejudice
Links & Resources
Some of the sources used for this episode, as well as other links that may be helpful.
- Klinger v. Conan Doyle Estate
- About the Klinger case: “Sherlock Holmes” Is Now Officially Off Copyright and Open for Business"
- Sherlock Holmes Belongs to Everyone
- Guardian: Lawsuit over 'warmer' Sherlock depicted in Enola Holmes dismissed
- Ownership of the Sherlock Holmes Stories
- Official Estate is here
- Another Official site
- Discussion of copyrights, including a table
- Wikipedia: Arthur Conan Doyle
- Wikipedia: Sherlock Holmes
- Good explanation of "How long does a copyright last?"
- Cornell's Legal Information Institute: Copyright
- US Copyright Office: Copyright
- IMDB page for Enola Holmes
- IMDB page for Enola Holmes 2
Business Email Writing
Looking to improve your email writing skills? Want to go deeper into email etiquette and learn more advanced strategies? Consider my new course launching soon!
There are huge sales going on now for the New Year - don't miss out!
Check out our companion website: www.4business-english.com !
4 Legal English Podcast
What do you think? Was this a valid contract? Would this be considered a valid contract in your jurisdiction?
Are there any terms from the podcast you would like further explained? Comment below!
Please subscribe, rate us 5 stars, and leave a review!
4 Legal English Podcast main page is Here.